August 29, 2013

art supply product review (part 2)

Colored Pencils.

Here are the competitors today.
I'll be honest. 
I've never used Prang Colored Pencils before.
Crayola seems to be the staple for everything that is in my room or gets donated to my room.
Occasionally, I'll get the really crummy kind donated.
The ones that don't sharpen and barely color.
So I was interest to see what the Prang Colored Pencils were like.
Crayola came with 12 colored pencils.
Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Brown, Black, White, Light Blue, Light Green, Red-Orange.
These pencils were regular size and round.
Prang came with 12 colored pencils.
Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Brown, Black, Pink, Light Blue, Gold, Silver.
And bonus! A Sharpener.
These pencils were large and triangular.
I have never used triangular pencils before.
But as an art teacher I would love to have pencils that don't roll around on the table.
Plus because they are large I bet they would work great for really little hands.
To be honest I was really impressed by both sets of colored pencils.
I thought that both colored well.
Prang's colors seem to come out brighter.
Crayola's colors seem to come out deeper.
I really liked that Prang came with gold and silver.
But then again, when using black paper, it is great to have Crayola's white colored pencil.

My vote.
Tie.
I would personally use both of these in my art room.
Plus, if you use both, you get:
a great colored pencil that works
and
a good variety of colors.

Happy school supply shopping!