May 20, 2013

embracing a new dream

Four years ago when I graduated from college the last thing on my to-do list was to go back for round two.
College drained me in an emotional and yet beautiful way.
When I left the first time I was filled with knowledge and ready to get to my own classroom.

In my mind I thought.
Okay...
College is done.
Time to find a job and settle down.
You know...
live the American dream.
or really...
live my dream.

The job came but settling down seemed to be more of fantasy than a reality.

So I put that dream on hold and embraced a new one.
One that didn't come with a shiny ring and the sweet smile of a familiar face.
Mine came with a half dozen college transcript requests and a tuition payment the size of a decent wedding.

Two years ago I set out to obtain a little piece of paper that comes bundled with a massive workload of great erudition, and as all us teacher know... three glorious but seldom heard words:
a pay raise.

So chase after this little dream I did.
But little it was not.
I was writing dissertations and theses about Kindergarten behaviors and how curriculum is designed.
Years.
Months.
Weeks.
Days.

Pouring over homework and wondering if I had made some horrible life choice as far as my own dreams and desires go.
But this past Saturday I had the answer to that question.

No.
This was was not a horrible life decision.
In fact, this may have been my best move yet.
Even though it has been filled with long nights, frustrations, and tedious waits.
It has been worth it.

On Saturday I was awarded my Masters degree.
The same girl who wanted to quit undergrad at one (or several) points.
The same girl who took every avenue possible to become an art teacher // see here //.
The same girl who had originally hoped for a different dream.
That same girl now has
another degree.

Thank you for your patience with the blog these last two months.
Thank you for the support.
As Elle Woods and my father like to quote:
"We did it!"

10 comments:

  1. Congrats! What a great way to ring in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I've still got 21 hours to go on mine but I'm working on it! What a relief to be done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading about your program. I would love to be taking some of the classes that you are!!

      Delete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS! What an achievement! I am having one heck of a time just getting 24 credits for my Pennsylvania Level II certificate and can relate to all of your hard work and determination. I hope you do something special to celebrate this remarkable time in your life. Also, your hair looks just lovely in these photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Well keep at it girl! You will get your stuff done...just keep persevering!!

      Lots of celebrations happening here. And thanks for the hair comment...I need to get it cut and dyed asap....but the cap does a good job of covering that up.

      Delete
  4. Such a big accomplishment! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete