February 19, 2013

value piggies

One of the lessons I love to do with my Kindergartners is value pigs.
We have a little discussion about value, but most of this is exploration.
I can't remember where I got this idea, so if it is yours let me know.
This year I decided to use tracers.
It was too much of a marathon to free hand the main shapes and get them to be a good size within a thirty-minute span.
I was worried they wouldn't look unique, but they free hand all the details, so trust me, they do!
We draw the details on with pencil and then outline with black crayon.
I give the kids three shades of pink.
Even though this looks like mixed paint, I purposefully don't mix them completely because it is fun to watch them experience the colors mixing on their paper.
At the end of day one the pig should look something like this.
Snout is light pink.
Head, tail, top part of ear are medium pink.
Body, middle part of ear are dark pink.

On day two we get thick sharpies and we outline everything.
Fill in the hooves with sharpie.
Cut and glue down a pig-pen.
Cut out the piggie and glue him down.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love the simplicity of the design.
    I will give it a try with my young student.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete