January 20, 2013

glaze distribution and storage

How do you distribute glaze to your students?
In the past I would give each student a palette. 
They picked their favorite colors.
And I would fill their palette with those colors.
This year I am trying something new.
Why not pre-fill the glazes into resealable palettes?
I bought six of these so each table can have their own.
These one-piece palettes are from // Sax // for roughly three dollars.
See // my supplies //.
I took time to label the palettes and caps with either the name or initial of the glaze color.
That way the caps don't get put on a different glaze color.
Then I started filling them up.
When deciding what glazes to put in each container I decided to just choose the most popular.
Easy storage!
Because the price was so good, I'll probably buy more for my other glazes next year.
Now what about when the glaze dries out?
Easy again!
A few taps and/or hot water, the glaze comes right out.

4 comments:

  1. That is a great idea! I have never had my students put the glaze in a paint palette for fear of wasted glaze getting poured down the drain at the end of the class. What I have always done is put a different glaze (or 2 or 3) at each table, and have the students move around to get the colors they need. That way the students dip their brush directly in the glaze bottle, and don't waste any. With the younger students, I put one color per table, and they have to choose one of the six available. With the older kids, I get all the colors out, and pair the popular ones with unpopular ones to avoid traffic jams at certain tables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually do the same thing. I have stockpiled lots of different glazes, especially the Amaco Crystalex glazes, over the last two years. In general, the Crystalex glazes are the most popular. Usually what I will do is pull out the glazes that I will allow students to use for a project, line them up on a table, and as students get their projects to glaze, they get to choose which glaze they want to use first. Anyone who wants to use that color just moves to where it is.

    Pouring the glazes into those little containers is great, I think, for the solid colored glazes that don't have any crystals in but I don't think it would work very well for the glazes that do have the crystals. It would be hard to get a balanced amount of glaze and crystals in those little containers!

    However, I also purchased those screw-top paint containers you are using for paint. I was wasting A LOT of paint the last few years so I bought 12 of them. I have 6 tables, so this is what I do. One palette has the primary and secondary colors in tempera. One palette has the six fluorescent tempera colors I have. If we need black or white, I just put one regular palette at a table with those colors in it (and brown, if needed). That way, if students want to mix colors, they can do it in the smaller palette and then there are only 6 palettes that need to be cleaned at the end of class instead of 12 or more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I love these little containers. I looked them up in Sax Catalogue but can't seem to find the same ones. or did i just miss them? What is the brand name? I would love to use these. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found them. Search for "one-piece empty palette"
      http://store.schoolspecialty.com/OA_HTML/xxssi_ibeSearchResults.jsp?type=search&minisite=10066&query=one-piece+empty+palette

      Delete