April 12, 2012

Organizing Fine Arts Night

Just about every blog I've read in the last week has made some mention of Fine Arts Night.
I figured I would share my own strategies for how I make that night a reality.

3-4 weeks out
These are the prep weeks. 
When each class comes to visit me, I pull their box (paper box lid) of artwork down.
We sort all the artwork into piles for each student.
I inform the kids they get 3 artworks on display.
One is already set - their clay piece.
Some classes have another set piece (2nd- Mobiles, 3rd -Trees (see here))
All the other grades will give me 2 artworks of their choosing.
Note: I select the 3 artworks for K & 1st grade.

These labels are my lifesaver.
I always know if an artwork is for FAN if it has this label on it.

All the other artworks not chosen are put back in the box lid. --see Day of--

2 weeks out
All artwork in the entire school comes down. The hallways looks dull and boring.
Note: I still had artwork hanging up in the hallways when students selected their artwork. So if something was out and the student wanted it for FAN, I just put a sign-up sheet on the board. Right after the class left, I went out in the hallway, tracked down their artwork, and put a label on it.
So -- labeled artworks get put in my FAN pile back in my room.

1 week out
Slowly start to put artwork out...I try not to get it up too early because it ruins the surprise.
All mobiles get hung from ceiling and tree sculptures go out on display.

2-3 days out
Clay goes out on display on the tops of the library bookshelves.
Note: I talk to the kids, warn the kids, and send little spies out to the library to make sure clay doesn't get touched.
Color coded. BEST IDEA EVER. Plus I color code everything the whole year so students know what color to look for.
Artwork gets labeled with class signs and has learning statements placed with them.

Day of:
On FAN I have my 5th graders come down, take a box lid, and go to each classroom with it. They place the pile of artwork that was not chosen on each respective student's desk.

I hang up the surprise artwork --you'll have to wait and see--

I put an easel up at the front of the school with this sign. Notice the color coding. :)
Kids take the clay piece and pile of artwork on their desks home at the end of FAN.

And yes -- I am crazy -- I even create a movie that is playing on repeat in the art room. It shows all the artwork done throughout the year. 

And that friends, is how this art teacher puts on a Fine Arts Night.


BIG NEWS - As I mourn over the loss of Picnik Photo editing in 7 days...I have found a suitable replacement:
http://www.picmonkey.com/
(and of course, Photoshop)