April 17, 2012

Fine Arts Night Surprise

I knew what the big surprise was going to be at Fine Arts Night after seeing this.
So for about the last 3 months whenever a class finished a project early, we would work on making our own portrait.
Each student got a 6 x 6 piece of white construction paper.
Each table got a basket filled with tints and shades of one color. (crayons, markers, colored pencils)
Assignment: draw yourself, try and leave no white space.
I didn't have kindergarten do this project because they were already doing portraits (see here)
Fifth graders were given the task to create intermediate portraits. I used their portraits to make transitions from one color to the next.
I didn't want one long piece of black craft paper, so I divided it up into sections.
When I reached the end of one paper I left a tab at the end. Then I would begin on the edge of the next paper. I used Elmer's glue to tack the art down.
It took about 2 hours to put the whole thing together (300 portraits).
As luck would have it I got to the end and was ONE short of perfection. So I whipped out the baskets and quickly drew me. I figure I will make it a black and white photo and put it on the learning statement. The can search for me (although, I am pretty sure I am in the easiest place ever. Oh well!

One week from today is the day!
Cheers to not totally losing my mind in the next 7days...