March 19, 2012

Supplies Part 1

Today I had a professional development day/flex time, which for me meant that I got about 8 hours to do the things that never get done.

Two big issues for the day were:
Planning Fine Arts Night
Starting to order supplies for next year

Thus I get to the heart of the issue > Supplies.

My first question to you is do you have any supplies that you recommend? Or maybe you've done a blog post about supplies. If you leave me a comment with the link I will add it to my "Lesson I Love" page.

Best buy of 2011-2012:
Liquid Watercolors - I ordered an assortment pack of ten colors, still have plenty left. Holy cow, best thing ever to be invented. I store them in these cups.

Kindergarten Centers (For the days when projects don't last an hour)
1. Roylco Straws and Connectors - This was a big hit.
2. Where Art Thou? - Art Memory Game, this can even be split into two center because there are a lot of cards.
3. Play-doh - Not gonna lie, I'll probably throw this one out of the mix next year.
4. Free Draw
5. Color Memory Game - I made it up and it is a hit.

New things I'm thinking of getting for 2012-2013:
Fluorescent  Liquid Watercolors
Big Kid's Choice Classroom Pack Brushes
Some unique Construction Paper Colors (Lilac, Dark Blue, Butterscotch, Scarlet, Holiday Green, Light Green)
Ticonderoga Pencils (I hear they are the best!!)
Construction Paper Crayons (Can you believe I don't have any??)

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Prismacolor pencils. They just look so rich!

    Thanks for the link to the cups, I'll totally order some of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tip!! I will look into those :0)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy having the following materials available for lessons in the art room: metallic gold paint (tempera or acrylic), metallic crayons, prismacolor art stix (for texture rubbings), watercolor pencils and water soluble oil pastels, no-bleed color tissue paper, yarn, neon tempera paints, white model magic, plastic sewing needles, asst. beads and buttons, elmer's art paste, mod podge, acrylic gloss medium, aleen's tacky glue, asst. felt and fabric, crayola brand liquid tempera paints, watercolor pans that have pop out colors that can be replaced, wooden dowels (excellent for making rod puppets), and there are so many other things. Another great source for materials is to use recyclables -- or what I call re-thinkables -- like water bottles, coffee caddies, egg cartons, paper towel rolls, magazines, flattened cereal boxes, etc. Check out my art ed blog for ideas if you want... margauritaspear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete