February 2, 2012

Op Art

Every class, every grade, every age -- they all look up on my art period timeline and always wish out-loud that they could do Op Art. 
I'm with them.
But it isn't necessarily in my curriculum.
In fact, I think they teach it in middle school.
But I finally granted the wish with this lesson.
I originally came across this lesson on Kids Artists.
Although I talked briefly about Op Art, I focus on radial balance and European Art. After all, this is inspired by Portuguese artist Henrique Matos.
We did a watercolor wash and I taught them how to splatter paint.
We used liquid watercolors (my favorite!)
On day two we used a compass to make circles. 
They used markers to make the checkerboard patterns.
Everyone's turned out so different and creative.
Fifth grade loved it! 


1 comment:

  1. Hello Jen
    I'm Henrique Matos and I saw this fantastic children`s works in my style, great job. Congratulations.
    This is my site in Oporto city (Porto):
    http://henriquematos.webs.com/index.htm
    Thank you very much

    ReplyDelete